- Be a member in good standing with the AEF, and at least 18 years of age.
- Complete and submit the provincial officials’ application (see below). Ensure the $20.00 (+GST) processing fee is included with the application.
- Provide two letters of recommendation from individuals active within the horse industry. Each letter must reference the discipline the candidate is applying for. If the candidate is applying for multiple disciplines, please ensure the letters of recommendation address your experience in all disciplines. At least one of the two sponsors must be a certified AEF or EC official. All sponsors should be members in good standing with their provincial/national equestrian federation.
- Submit a minimum of three mentoring forms (see below). Applicants will shadow an AEF or EC official at three separate AEF or EC sanctioned competitions. Each session should be conducted under a different official whenever possible. Shadowing hours must be conducted for the discipline selected on the application. The carded official overseeing the shadowing must complete the mentoring form. Applicants who are seeking multiple cards should complete additional mentoring forms.
- Attend an official’s clinic (either AEF or EC approved), relevant to their discipline(s).
- Successfully complete the applicable AEF official’s written exam with a minimum score of 80%. Note: If applicants are looking to be carded in multiple disciplines, the applicant must complete each relevant discipline exam.
Dressage only: Applicants seeking a dressage card must also complete and submit the scribing form (see below). This form verifies that the applicant has scribed for a minimum of eight hours during sanctioned competition with a Medium or higher EC Dressage official.
Applications are accepted at any time. All supporting documents must be submitted/completed within one year of the initial application date.